Be prepared, be ready, and don't let yourself become a victim to a sly pickpocket on the train in Rome or a bus in Praque.
- Always have your fare ready when entering the subway. This will prevent potential thieves from seeing where you keep your wallet.
- Keep safe. When waiting on the platform, stand far back from the subway tracks.
- An experienced pickpocket can usually pick a tourist out in a crowd. Wear your purse over one shoulder with the opening flap against your stomach so that it's impossible to get into. If you're carrying a day pack, wear it in front across your chest.
- Avoid remaining in an empty car. If you find yourself alone, simply exit one car and enter another at the first available stop. Remember that it's generally the centre cars on the train that get the heaviest traffic and there's greater safety in numbers.
- Avoid constantly referring to your subway map on the train. This only serves to advertise that you're not sure where you're going. Instead, situate yourself so that you can study the route map posted in the carriage.
- Most major cites have its problems when it comes to crime in on public transportation system, however you need to be just as alert in New York City as in Paris. Travellers need also to be aware that professional pickpockets love to work escalators in these locations. The suspects usually work in pairs, the partner gets in front of you going up (or down) the escalator. When you reach the top/bottom the person in front doesn't get off the escalator (the person has usually 'dropped' something which he then bends over to pick up) causing people to conveniently bump into you from behind. And guess who is right behind you? You are correct, the pickpocket. And you are busy trying to keep from outright running over the person in front of you. If you run into this situation, keep your hand holding your pocket where your wallet is, and or make sure you are holding your purse shut. In general be suspicious of anyone who impedes your progress while walking and watch your back in these instances. These criminals work in pairs , the blocker in the front and the pickpocket behind. They will almost always have a third person nearby to handoff the stolen property to so they cant be caught with the goods on them.
- Don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself by what you wear. Be culturally correct and dress appropriately. Muted colors and conservative clothing always helps you to fade into the crowd and stay out of trouble.