For Times Like These....

Home Contents Insurance

Protect your home inside and out.

Learn More About Contents Insurance

Contents insurance covers the contents of your home, including items such as televisions, laptops and kitchen appliances. It provides you with peace of mind in the event of any loss or damage to your home contents. 

What Does Contents Insurance Cover?

The easiest way to understand what insurers consider “contents” is to consider anything you would pack if you were to move house. Your contents cover also includes; carpets and curtains, and includes furniture, domestic appliances, clothing and jewellery.

A home contents insurance policy covers loss, destruction and/or damage caused by a range of events insured including:

  • Fire & Smoke
  • Storm or Flood
  • Freezing, Escape of Water from any Plumbing or Heating System, Fixed Water Apparatus or Fixed Domestic Appliance.
  • Escape of Oil from within any Plumbing or Heating System or Fixed Domestic Appliance.
  • Stealing (or Attempted Stealing)
  • Malicious Damage and Vandalism

For more information you can view the Product Information Document  and our Home Insurance page.

How Much Contents Insurance Should I Purchase?

It’s sometimes difficult to calculate how much house contents insurance you’ll need. The maximum amount you’ll get back if your home is wholly damaged is called a “sum amount” so it’s important to get your coverage amount right. A good rule of thumb is to take an inventory by taking notes as you walk through each room of your house.

You might be surprised how many valuables you have, especially when you take into account items that might be out of sight. The best way to make sure you are properly insured is to keep the sum insured up to date. At AIG we provide additional cover of 10% for 1 month before and after a wedding.